Metabolism is essentially the speed at which our body’s motor is running. The speed at which our body burns calories is called the metabolic rate. It’s how fast your “motor” is running when you’re still in a reclined position or sleeping. About 60-75% of energy is expended by the
body at rest in such activities.
The metabolism is based on the number of calories we burn throughout the day. Our body constantly burns calories to keep us going whether we are eating, sleeping, cleaning etc. People with a lower percentage of body fat (i.e. muscular) have a higher metabolism than others that are less muscular because muscle uses more calories to maintain itself than fat. Some people have a slower metabolic rate and have a harder time staying slim. Younger persons have higher (faster) metabolism because of the increased activity of cells. A slow metabolism actually causes the body to store fat. The slower the metabolic rate, the greater the weight gains.
What’s to be done I hear you say?
How do I build muscles to improve metabolism? What type of exercise is ideal that speed up my metabolism so that you burn calories even at rest or sleep? There are simple exercises that speed up the metabolism and you need to consult an exercise physiologist or personal trainer to design a programme for you.
Here are some causes for Low Metabolism
* A low calorie diet
* Snacking throughout the day on high sugared foods (white breads, candy, colas, cakes, gum).
* Eating or drinking too much sugar containing foods.
* Lack of physical activity.
* Under-active Thyroid Gland (could be caused by excess Fluoride ingestion via tap water)
And of course here are some Metabolism Boosters
There are some natural metabolism boosters (natural foods asnd exercise) that improves your metabolism. Do not take over the counter pills containing animal thyroid extract or inorganic minerals that claim to boost up metabolism. These products may have side effects as diarrhea, increased heart rate, excessive sweating, nervousness, tremors, bulging eyes, etc.
How to Improve (Speed up) Metabolism
* Do not skip any meals and eat smaller, higher % proteins portions regularly during the day
* Exercise daily
* Build your muscles
* Avoid alcohol, sugar, and fastings (this is a BIGGY)
* Drink 8-10 glasses of pure water daily. (this is also a BIGGY)
* Avoid taking inorganic mineral supplements and concentrate of extracting organic minerals from high nutritional value foods
* Eat foods with high nutrition values
* Determine the carbohydrate intake per day value that is less than your daily calorific burn rate and adjust your food intake accordingly
Drinking cool or cold, pure water is a particularly good way to help increase your metabolic rate as demonstrated in the following article:
“After drinking approximately 17 ounces of water, the subjects’ metabolic rates — or the rate at which calories are burned — increased by 30% for both men and women. The increases occurred within 10 minutes of water consumption and reached a maximum after about 30 to 40 minutes.”
“They note that up to 40% of the increase in calorie burning is caused by the body’s attempt to heat the ingested water.”
The factoid above does not mention that the real benefit of flushing the body with water is it’s effect on improving the quality of cellular nutrition and waste reduction. Quite simply drinking more water is one of the keys to maintaining better health and wellbeing!
Better health and wellness to you all!